Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Myanmar update...

As some of you may know, I have some very strong ties to the country of Myanmar that has been in the headlines since a devastating cyclone tore through the capital city on Saturday. My brother is living there with his wife and has been for the last year. This is where the orphanage, that is such a huge part of my life vision, is located. I was there last year in Feb. for 3 weeks with my kids and taught English at their school on the campus. The orphanage is called Love Childrens Home and is located a very short distance outside of the capital city, Yangon. We couldn't contact them for a few days because of the power outages. But we did hear from them yesterday and the news was good! They are all fine and most of their buildings only had very minor damage. The trees on campus were down, but every single child, man and woman was accounted for and so I am thanking the Lord! He is GOOD! Keep praying for the people that live in Myanmar though, it sounds like they are in great need for clean drinking water and thousands are left homeless, and the primitive infastructure that was in place is destroyed. The rainy season is soon to begin and to not have a roof over your head...well what can I say, can you imagine?

These are just a few of the 168 orphans they take care of on their campus. They are absolutely some of the greatest kids I have ever known. It was such a priviledge to take Tanner and Chloe to meet them for the first time. In letters they had written to me just before I left they wanted to make sure that if I couldn't come and visit them the next year that I would PLEASE send one of the kids. They took such good care of my little ones, and I was so grateful that Tanner and Chloe had this amazing experience! They still talk about their friends in Myanmar and pray for them before bed. I think they learned a lot on this trip, and I know I did.
This is a photo of me teaching the kids, working on alphabet flash cards with them. They are so eager to learn anything that you are willing to teach them.
These are some of my "girls." I love them all so much! I can't get their faces out of my head...and truthfully that's where I want them. So keep these children in your prayers, they need them!

2 comments:

nAnnAlYnn said...

heidi,
thanks for posting the pictures of the darling kids in myanmar. all the
precious faces came flooding back to
me and I ache for the people of myanmar in their desolation. we all
prayed for them tonight at prayer
meeting. the Lord is able to keep
them through the storm and after.
hope we hear from jAke soon..
love you..miss you
lYnn

Just Call Me Grammy said...

I did not know that Myanmar was where you went. I have been thinking and praying for those people alot. One of Andy's good friends from college is a missionary there--it is where he grew up and the family still works from there and Thailand. Thanks for posting the pictures. It helps to have faces of real people to pray for. We will be sure to pray for your brother and wife as well.
Terry

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates