Thursday, July 16, 2009

Blisters and wart hogs...

I have been promising the kids I would take them to the new Africa exhibit at our local zoo since it opened last month. Today ended up being the day that worked best so we loaded up and took off for the big adventure. (And can I just say that my kids are finally getting old enough to not have to be attatched to a sippy cup and have to have a stroller to get around...and I am loving it!) One of the things that was cool to see was that there were not just moms/dads and kids walking through, but also several older people just sitting in the shade watching the animals. It made me think that "animal watching" was a very relaxing thing to do....and kind of reminds me of watching the waves crash on the shoreline...I could sit and watch that all day. I also loved hearing not only my kids comment on the exhibits but also the others around us. As we walked in and you could hear the African tribal music playing...Tanner turned to me and whispered "Mom I feel like I really am in Africa!" Mission accomplished. I think the animal he was most fascinated with was some sort of wart hog (I cannot remember the name for the life of me!) we had to go back to see her 3 times! Maybe he was just interested in her piglets? Who knows. Chloe just kept squealing about the zebras all afternoon...and the blisters she was getting on her feet...poor thing. I think my favorites were the rhinos that were chasing each other around. With the giraffes being my second favorite...there weren't any elephants...I mean, how can you call it an African exhibit without elephants? It was still very cool and we enjoyed our time there.



I heard one dad talking with his small son as we were walking along. His little one was asking for a toy at the gift shop (sound familiar?) The dad was telling the little boy...that the greatest gift he had now was the memory that they had made, and the memory of the animals. And that if he bought the boy a small toy, it would just end up in the bottom of the toy chest. The little boy looked at him and asked "So what is my greatest gift? And where is it?" He was too young to understand that the greatest gift that we have each day...is each day, and the memories that we made, and the people who's lives we touched and loved. That is what lasts...those are the things to treasure. Good lesson...good reminder.
Oooh, one more thing...I have an app on my iphone that is a little voice recorder...and I was just thinking of how easy it would be instead of jotting down in the notebook (that was in the car) the funny things the kids said...I could just record it to write down later. Next time I'm doing that for sure!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

What a great app on your iphone! Great idea. What a bummer no elephants. Especially in an Africa exhibit. Good to hear the kids had fun. What a great lesson that dad was trying to teach his son too.

Just Call Me Grammy said...

Looks like fun. Andy and I have been wanting to go see the new exhibit...we'll be the old people sitting around in the shade ;o)

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates