Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Details...

I don't know why today seemed so perfect. Maybe it was because I had a few hours to myself. Maybe it was because it was election day and I saw so many people out voting at the polls. Maybe it was because it was 72 degrees outside. Maybe it was because the price of gas here was $2.02 today. (CRAZY! A little over a month ago I was paying almost double that!) Maybe it was because I got to go to my favorite junk store. OR maybe it was because of all of these reasons wrapped up into one. I am thankful for my life, for this great country that I am proud of (anyone who has traveled to other places in the world can see just how good we have it here,) and for each and every blessing that has come my way. Nothing could wipe the smile off my face today!


Today I wanted to share a layout and explain some of the little details of how it all came together. On this layout I liked the idea of having the brown scalloped edge being the "frame" so to speak. So I trimmed all of the added elements to fit within the white grid...this was a freehand process. I just drew a few pencil lines and trimmed it until I got the curve right. It isn't perfect, but I don't think anyone would notice unless they examined it. I used mostly the Sassafras Lass paper with the trees on it for the photo mat and also the little extras I added.

Here I layered the green vine Crate Paper glitter border underneath the photo mat and tucked behind it the number 2 from one of the flash cards that were included. The red number "6" and little bluebird are just trimmed from that same sheet of Sassafras Lass paper with the trees on it. (Okay, technically it's called "Fawned of you too.") The little yellow circle flower is one of the Crate Paper glitter die cuts. I used a pop dot to give it even more dimension.
The story I wanted to tell on this page was not the obvious one...that we carved pumpkins...but I wanted to tell the story behind the pumpkins. Which for me was the fact that the kids love pumpkins, but I am the only grown up around to help carve them, which makes a lot of work for mom! Which is not my favorite job. Don't get me wrong I don't mind carving one pumpkin. But 4 is a lot! The title reads "2 kids...4 pumpkins...lots of work for mom!" I used the Pink Paislee alpha and then hand wrote the last line. The little snail is another element I cut from that same Sassafras Lass paper, I decided he looked good just sitting on the top of the photo. The number "4" is hand cut from the same flash card, I used my x-acto knife. The other bird hanging out down by the red poppies is cut from one of the vintage birds you get with this kit. I popped him up with pop dots to make it really look like he was perched on top of the flowers. Super simple!

Oh and I got creative with the alphabet stickers because I had run out of the letter "p" so I used a "d" and turned it upside down and it looks just like a capital "P." Perfect, and you would have probably never guessed that!
So I have so much more to share with you, but I'll save it for tomorrow. I have been raking all the leaves in the yard this week and have picked up around 20 bags...but I'm no where close to being finished. (We have 6 acres here.) And while it's 70 degrees I am seriously thinking of hanging up the Christmas lights while I'm at it! Hope you are having a wonderful evening!

2 comments:

nAnnAlYnn said...

heidi,
the halloween pictures from the last few days are so so cute. do you have some pics of the pumpkins after they went under the knife-- the brush?
looks like tanner and chloe are having a great time painting away.
i love those pumpkin donuts. they're the cutest donuts i've ever seen!
and lastly...your 4 pumpkins LO is
really very cool with all the layers.
talk to you soon...love,
nAnnAlYnn

Alecia Castro said...

Your layout is so very cute. LOVE the round pages!!

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates