Thursday, April 15, 2010

The birds and the bees...

Could it be much cuter? Ahhhh, paper bliss! This is a sneak peek of what is in store for your May kits! Here's a sweet little bird to give you a little tiny idea of what I have up my sleeve.
Say it with me now...felt is good.
This kit is shaping up to be one of my all-time favorites! I can't wait to start playing with it. Is anyone else playing along with Ali Edwards and her "Week in the Life" project next week? I love doing this project and am trying to find a way to fit it into the business of everything right now. One thing is for sure...I am making a date with my scrapbook room this weekend. There will be magic!

And now for the "bees" part of this post. I live in the country. I have accepted the fact that nature is all around me. I finally was told that the creepy little vine on my mailbox for the last 2 years is poison ivy. I have a mole or some other tunnel-digging-grass-ruining animal that has taken up permanent residence. I have wild turkeys strutting their stuff in the yard. I have deer that roam and play here. There must be a toad breeding ground nearby, because we keep track of how many we see each time we mow the grass and there are usually around 10 or more spotted throughout the yard. I go to sleep at night listening to the cows mooing in the field on the other side of the river. I wake up to the sound of the chickens and roosters that the neighbor has. I have giant sized turtles scratching at my back door (no joke!) I have possums and raccoons and skunks and birds galore...but now I have bees. I have put up with a lot, but I am putting my foot down when it comes to these bees. I think they are actually a wasp or a hornet...you know the really scary giant sized ones. So I am on a mission to get rid of them. I bought a can of wasp spray and sprayed their nests (or hives or whatever they're called) and I actually ran out, that is how many are all over my house! But somehow...they are finding a way INTO my house. That is where I draw the line. I had to get out the ladder yesterday to kill one that was flying around the rafters on the vaulted ceiling and I whacked it and it flew right at my face. As I ran DOWN the ladder I missed a step and fell off of it. I have some serious bruises, but I survived and am thankful that it wasn't worse! Anyone know how to get rid of them for good? I am willing to try pretty much anything right now. All I know is, I WILL WIN! LOL! Any bee/hornet/wasp advice would be much appreciated. You've gotta love living in the country!

4 comments:

Mandi Buchanan said...

Hornet traps worked really well for us last year. We just hung them from our deck. The wasps go in for the sugar, but can't get out. Good luck!

Just Call Me Grammy said...

The new kit looks AWESOME...can't wait! I can't believe you fell off the ladder! Hope you are ok and get rid of your unwelcome guests.

nAnnAlYnn said...

if you get those wasp traps out
soon enough you might catch the queens (they are the big ones) we
caught tons of wasps last year.
the one we used had a scent to
attract --no sugar--but mandi is
right they go in but they can't
fly oUt.
can't imagine how many we would
have had without the traps.
so sorry you fell from the ladder.
hope you're better sOoN!
i lOve fElT. the kit looks reallY
cute. thanks for the peek.

A said...

Love-love the country! Really miss it!

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates