Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Scrappy goodness...

As I had mentioned before...I got ultra productive with this kit! This is the layout I made about Coco the monkey in Mexico. The story is that my son Tanner is absolutely crazy about animals...and has been since he was tiny. While on vacation in Cancun a few years ago there was a man who was offering people to take pictures with his monkey. He took this Polaroid and then offered that we could also take pictures with our own camera, all for like 15 pesos. Such a deal! She was amazing. I have been to my fair share of zoos all over the world, but have never gotten that close to such a big monkey. In one of the shots she was literally sitting on my lap! And she was NOT light-weight! I remember studying her hands while she held mine and thinking "this is SO cool!" She was just like a really big kid and wanted to play with Tanner's toys and was also fascinated by his Keen sandals with all the straps. She kept trying to take them off and then put them back on again. Very curious....just like Tanner's favorite Curious George. Chloe, on the other hand, was scared to death of her and didn't want to get anywhere near her. Only in Mexico would you find a (very friendly) monkey on the loose...who would even stick out her tongue for you to take a picture with her. Only in Mexico! LOL.
I used a few of the Maya Road journaling spots cut apart to make the little black scalloped edge border. I also sanded the Cosmo Cricket wood grain letters to distress them a little. The "crazy" part of the title are from the sticker sheet included in the kit and I simply cut around them to make them a bit smaller. I used the Making Memories safety pin to attach the ribbon to my felt star. I used the green felt side up...but I love the blue polka dots on the reverse side as well.
I trimmed the flap off of one of the Maya Road envelopes and attached it to the top of the layout above my title and added a little fringed edge from the #2 fabric square underneath the long red strip. Oh, and I added journaling on another few strips of stacked masking tape to make it a little more opaque. (I told you I went crazy with the masking tape this month!)

This layout came together in a flash. I loved this vintage paper and decided I would scrap an 8x11 layout using the whole thing as my background. I added the sunglasses sticker to one of the Maya Road journaling spots and layered some papers at the bottom for a fun funky look.
I don't know why there is such a bad glare on these pictures! But of course you get the general idea. I shaped the orange Twisteez wire to make the word "dream" (which was super easy by the way) and then strategically stitched it on with a little embroidery thread that matched. I added a few buttons and a Heidi Swapp ghost heart to finish it off. I loved using that wire! It was one of my favorite things in the kit. It was really cool to see what everyone else did with it also!

Here is the last layout I'll share for today...a view from the side so you can see the details a little better. The number "3" was cut from the vintage flash card in the kit, with a pencil trimmed from the Cosmo Cricket paper with journaling added to it. I tucked one of the JBS mini bingo cards behind my photo block. The scalloped border underneath the photo block is masking tape that I cut freehand. I found that it's much too sticky to manipulate well if you try and use it straight off the roll. But if you stick it to your pant leg a few times to make it a bit less sticky you can cut it rather easily. (I think it even took on a bluish tint from my dark jeans, which I kind of liked.)
Lots of June Bug papers on this one...the one with the dots was a must-have, and possibly my favorite paper in the kit!
In other news we had the privilege of being reviewed in an online scrapping magazine called Scrap n' Art in their latest issue. It compares 30 kit clubs side by side and showcases projects made with our monthly kits. This online magazine is only $1.66 and issue and less than $10 for a years subscription! Such a deal!
Today was one of those perfect days. A day that hits the top of my "best day" charts. And I made a double dinner last night (does anyone else do that? I basically made 2 dinners at once so I only have to clean up a disastrous kitchen once) so all I have to do is heat up the chicken and noodles and we're set! Hope you had a great day! I'll be back with some more of my gallery tomorrow.

1 comments:

truleetraci said...

Hey Heidi... I have to tell you that the gallery for the sept kit is SO AWESOME! The design team did a wonderful job and I am so excited and inspired I can't WAIT for my kit to get here!!!
Thanks for all you do to "stoke" the creative fires with your gorgeous kits every month!
Love it!!!
Love you!

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates