Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mac & Cheese

I had a little help in the kitchen tonight. She is completely obsessed with helping me cook these days. Every night when I cook dinner she drags her chair into the kitchen to "help." I made a yummy soup recipe, but the kids don't like it at ALL, so she made Mac & Cheese. My mom taught me to cook at an early age, and my earliest cooking memory is of making Mac & Cheese. Which just happened to be my favorite food back then. (It's no wonder my kids love it!) I will definitely have to document this in my scrapbook.
So I thought I might share the soup recipe that I made tonight...it's my moms' recipe and it's delicous!

Lynn's Famous Sausage Zuppa

brown 2 lbs. italian sausage (we like one hot and one mild...drain and set aside)
saute one medium onion in 2 tbls. margarine in the bottom of a big soup pot
when carmelized add 1 46 oz. can of chicken broth
peel and slice (bite size) 2-3 carrots
dice a few sticks of celery (i even use the tender top leaves)
add carrots and celery to the broth and cook for 15 min.
meanwhile clean and slice (bite size) several red potatoes. leave skins on
add potatoes to the pot and simmer until tender
add sausage and 1 box or small bag of chopped spinach
thicken the broth by adding a little flour/water mixture (say 3-4 tbls. flour and 1/2 c. water) now look at the soup to see if it needs more liquid. you may want to add milk (my 1st choice) or more chicken broth.
last...season to taste with a little salt & pepper & chicken boullion


In Freehand Scraps news I am going to share a little sneak peek of our January kit tomorrow so make sure to check back for that! I am going to a crop tomorrow night and hope to get a jump start on my January gallery. Can't wait for a night of cropping!


3 comments:

Amanda Smith said...

Chloe is just so cute! I just love her little smile :) Thanks for sharing the recipe, it sounds delicious! I can't wait to see what you make with the January kit.

Talk to you soon,
Mandy

Just Call Me Grammy said...

That soup sounds delicious--I will have to try it out! Thanks for sharing.

grandma joyce said...

Heidi - Just too cute for words, little Chloe. Cannot wait to see that precious grandaughter of mine. The soup must be one I will always remember Lynn preparing for Christmas - absolutely loved it.

Love, Grandma Joyce

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates