Thursday, December 4, 2008

Decorations!

Here's some holiday goodies around the house...did I mention how much I love this time of year?

These are my Ali Edwards inspired advent boxes. I made these last year and my kids looked forward to opening them each day. Instead of trying to fill them with MORE presents, I decided to fill most of them with small ornaments that they can add to their Christmas trees each day. Of course I had to add a few pieces of candy and toys. But I like that this is becoming another family tradition! The great thing about these boxes is that you can paint them any color to match your other decor. I had to add a few stickers also, just for some visual interest. My kids are also being introduced to the written numbers along with the number symbol. (The teacher in me likes that!) So they are learning at the same time, and talk about good motivation!

Here is yet another Ali Edwards inspired idea...the button trees! Seriously...could they be any cuter? I had so much fun making these, and decided I liked them so much that I made them for gifts last year. I am thinking of trying my hand at a few Styrofoam balls covered in buttons as ornaments. I also love the look of them using only white/off-white buttons. So darling!

Isn't that old red deer great? She was an antique store find last year, and I just didn't get to enjoy her for that long, so I was super excited to pull her out of the box this year! My "HO, HO, HO" blocks are also a favorite and could be made easily with felt and a blanket stitch. The Santa's are connected with a piece of string to the inside of the pocket, so they don't get separated.

And the last little picture is of my red wooden boxes that my dad made for me several Christmases ago. They sit on my kitchen counter. My mom brought me those darling stacking cups for a little Thanksgiving present. (Thanks mom, you are the best!) Aren't they the cutest things ever? Oh Anthropology I miss you! Add a little green mini sized tree and you have added a winter/holiday touch!

Okay, this post must officially come to an end since I have said the word "cute" at least 20 times! Hope you have a great night!

2 comments:

Heidi Stork said...

Thanks Mom!

I would be happy to make a button tree for you! They are fun to make, just let me know what colors?

And NO, I haven't gotten my tree skirt yet! But the more I look at my pretty tree with an ugly exposed stand, the more I want to run out and find one!

Love to you!

Lynn said...

heidi,
red,white,blue,& green...just like
yours or wonder if red & white would
be good? don't use your own buttons...when i have a zillion.
our house looks ChriStMAsY now, and
we have snow...plenty. too cold for
walking.
love you,
nAnnalYnn

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates