Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thoughts about Moms...

In honor of Mother's Day I have been reflecting on this journey through motherhood that I have been on. It's been one full of twists and turns and ups and downs and tears and unbelievable joys. I hope you don't mind if I share my heart here a little! It has been the greatest blessing/gift of my life to be a mother. (And for all of you ladies who are not mothers...I know several "mothers" who don't have any children of their own. You just can't know the tremendous influence that you have on the children in your life!) I had a lot of ambitions as a child, but #1 on my list was to be a mother. I got my teaching certificate because I want to work overseas teaching children about Jesus one day, and more specifically the love of Jesus. I don't care what age group, what language they speak, girls or boys, orphans or not, my heart is for children. They say that children need 10-12 meaningful touches every day...I don't know who says that, but I know it to be true! There are so many, many children here, and around the world who will never know love, or have even 1 meaningful touch today. Even well intentioned mother's like me get busy, and frustrated and t-i-r-e-d! It can be so easy to forget about the little ones who are constantly vying for our attention and affection. As a single mom, there are so many days that I feel as though I am stretched so thin that I couldn't possibly meet all of their needs. But then I take a step back and see that where I fail (because face it moms...we all do...no matter how hard we try) that is where Jesus steps in. It's through my weakness that I am made strong through Him. Whatever I lack, He is there to give me the strength and patience and the positive outlook that I need to be a good Mom. And well that just makes me feel great! I was fortunate enough to have a Mother who made me feel like a princess, or a pirate, or a wilderness explorer, or a ballerina, or a waitress, or a pilot, or whatever game I happened to be playing that day. She encouraged me to be independent (I started curling my own hair in the 2nd grade...I was girly even back then folks!) and making my own lunch for school. Essentially she gave me wings! My parents are 2 of the most hard-working people I know. They showed me their faith in action, and continue to do so. They showed me through their lives how to honor God in all you do. How to rely on Him for not just the big things, but the little things too. My Mom is one of my best friends in the world. She allowed me to become who God wanted me to be. I am eternally grateful to Him for allowing me the privilege of being her daughter. I can't tell you how many of my friends have told me that they *wish* that she was their mom too! I can only hope and pray to give my kids the same kind of faith and upbringing that I was blessed with.
The above photo was from my Week in the Life project as she walked Chloe after school. Below is her Mom and my Grandma who is also a mentor and mother to me as well...and to my kids.

Happy Mother's Day to all you Mom's and non-Moms alike! Mine got an early kick-off this morning by me being woken up to breakfast in bed, which consisted of a Capri Sun and 2 chocolate doughnuts. They had it all set up with a little place card holder with pictures made for me tucked into it. I even had a napkin and a fork and spoon...which was a cute touch! Tomorrow they told me they are letting me pick where I would like to have lunch...and Tanner suggested Chili's because he knows it's one of my favorites. It doesn't get any better than this...I am blessed. My cup runneth over.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Mother's Day!!
Words of encouragement to me as we work through a week of trials.
Thank you for sharing:)
Happy Day to YOU!!!!
Love you,
jen

Amanda Smith said...

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day Heidi! Sounds like your kids already know what their doing if they are making you breakfast in bed! So cute!

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates