Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Invisibles...

I had some fun this afternoon playing with a sheet of the new "invisibles" by Heidi Swapp. I used the "lovely grid" chipboard sheets. There are 2 sheets in each package and they remind me of when you write on an Easter egg with wax crayon and after you dye it, the image you drew stays white. (It's a "resist," for all of you artist out there.) So here is what it looks like fresh from the package. It is printed on a glossy surface and the image that is printed on the paper is a high gloss. They recommend using acrylic paint or watercolors, and also ink. The "invisible" image appears and stands out in contrast to the color you've chosen for your background. They also strongly suggest that you use permanent ink or pigment ink if you are stamping, so it will stick to the clear printed surface. I used Tim Holtz distress inks in "walnut stain" and "old paper" and blended...and blended some more...and then some more. I waited for some of it to dry a bit and then added another layer of pigment. It was so much fun. The best part is that you can customize the color to exactly the project you're working on! So here is the "before."
I highly recommend this blender tool by Ranger. Technically it's called and Alcohol Ink Applicator.
I tried to show how many different shades I had before I blended them all together.

Don't you love grids? Love this!
I used my exacto knife and a ruler to cut it in half, and then in half again. This gave me 2 6"X6" pages for the cover and back of my mini book.

Using my Crop-a-dile and the guide I punched holes, so that they would be the same distance from the edge of the sheet.
I pulled out some colorful embellishments from my stash and a little ribbon, and added a title using some white American Crafts thickers.
This will be a book for Tanner's birthday pictures this month...he is going to be 6!
Here is a close-up of the embellishments.
In other news...we are having WaY tOo much rain. I laughed when I got a comment from my good friend Terry who said we may need an ark soon...so true. The road down from my house is flooded out and I managed to get some pictures from the backyard this afternoon. Our property is right on a river and there is also a creek that flows into the river making for LOtS of water! Luckily it never comes past the edge of the yard.
The trees look so pretty against the overcast sky.

Okay, so don't forget to become a "follower" of the blog to be entered to win the giveaway. I will be picking a winner tomorrow evening. You know there will be some "invisibles" in there! I also will have a sneak peek of the April kit to share tomorrow! See you then, and have a great night!

3 comments:

Just Call Me Grammy said...

Oooooo..I LOVE those Invisibles. The look you created is awesome!!!! I am glad you are planning on coming Fri. and hopefully bringing Christy. We have 3 other so far, with the possibility of several more. Big for us (laugh!) Thanks for the nice comment on my blog--the pleasure was all mine and I would be thrilled to do it anytime you need. See you Friday!

Michelle Vandepol said...

first time at your blog and i will definitely be back :) love your step by step using the distressing inks. i've always liked the look, but been clueless as to how to execute it

Holly said...

love the little b-day book. Very cute. What kind of paper or chipboard did you use with the invisibles.....?

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates